All over the world, the issue of having a visa for various countries is a particularly common one. Since the United States offers a significant amount of opportunity, there are a plethora of different types of visas. However, in the case of an E-2 visa, the opportunity and potential for a business to flourish in the United States is unique. The E-2 visa allows investors to establish residence in the United States and take advantage of the economical benefits of the country with the intention of supporting that economy. I, Martin Lawler, will be highlighting the concept of the E-2 visa and all the relevant factors surrounding it, as well as the pros of the E-2 visa.
What Is The E-2 Visa?
The E-2 visa is not unlike various other types of visas, as it provides ample opportunity for you to work, live, and travel in and out of the United States like most visas would. Furthermore, like other visa programs, the E-2 visa applies to a certain class of people. However, before going further, it is pertinent to state that the E-2 visa is formerly referred to as the E-2 Treaty Investor visa. The E-2 visa is like any other visa as it allows you to stay and work in the united states. However, you should note that the E-2 visa is only accessible to legal citizens of certain countries in the world. These countries are those that possess a trade or commerce treaty with the United States. Furthermore, in order to access the E-2 visa, you must first and foremost be an investor in an American based business enterprise. Simply put, before you can get the E-2 visa, you must have invested, or you intend to invest a considerable amount of money into a business enterprise in the U.S. Following this, you can simply define the E-2 visa as one that allows an investor to live in the United States in exchange for a significant investment made to the country’s economy. However, an important aspect you should note is that the E-2 visa is not an immigration visa. Hence, you can’t acquire an American Passport or Green Card from an E-2 visa.
In addition to what’s given above, you should be aware that the E-2 visa can extend to immediate family and employees of the principal investor. However, you should note that for the family, the same legal constraints are not applicable to all. This simply means that there are some benefits enjoyed by the principal investor by virtue of the E-2 visa, that won’t be enjoined to the immediate family. For example, the years of stay will differ in both circumstances. Also, in regards to the employees, they must be of the same nationality as the principal investor, in order to benefit from the E-2 Treaty Investor visa. However, I have to state that not everyone is eligible for the E-2 visa, as certain conditions are to be met before you can apply for it.
E-2 Visa Conditions.
- When it comes to the E-2 visa, the first condition to be met is having a passport from one of the specific countries that have a trade or commerce treaty with the United States. That is, you must be a citizen of one of several recognized countries, like Germany, France, Ireland, to be eligible for an E-2 visa.
- The second condition to be met regards the investment you are making or have made. Before you can apply for an E-2 visa, you must invest a considerable amount of money into a U.S based business enterprise. There is no prescribed minimum amount or sum that renders your qualification for the E-2 visa. Hence, your E-2 visa may depend on the amount you invest. However, I strongly recommend investing between $100,000 to $200,000, as it is the natural norm I have experienced in the past. However, I have also seen where based on special circumstances, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services will give you the E-2 visa even when you invest the sum as low as $50,000.
- The third condition to be met is stating your intention for staying in the United States. You must indicate that your reason for seeking the E-2 visa is to directly develop the business you have invested in. For this condition, there are several ways you can prove this. One of which is by showing you have at least a 50 percent ownership stake in the business you’ve invested in.
From the above-stated conditions, I’m sure you can decipher that meeting these conditions to acquire the E-2 visa is not impossible, but I recommend consulting a professional Immigration attorney to guide you through the process without unnecessary delays. Though it will require your full effort, it is still something that is attainable. Now, I think it’s best I tell you why you should get the E-2 visa, that is if you don’t know already. Therefore, below are the merits of an E-2 visa.
The Merits Of The E-2 Visa.
- The first amazing merit of the E-2 visa is the application processing time. That is the timeframe for applying and acquiring the E-2 visa. For qualifying candidates, the E-2 visa can be processed in only a matter of months.
- The next amazing aspect of the E-2 visa is that it creates an avenue for you the investor to grow your business while living in one of the world’s strongest economies.
- Compared to certain other visas with investment platforms like the EB-5, the E-2 requires a smaller amount in investments than that of the EB-5 Immigrant visa.
- The E-2 visa provides amazing travel flexibility.
In conclusion, if your dream is to be a full-fledged citizen of the United States, then this isn’t for you. However, if you are an investor who seeks various business opportunities, then the E-2 should definitely be considered. It is one of the best types of visas out there, with particular benefits that fit the business minded.